The late Mr Paramjothy was born in Muar, Johor. He was the second son of the late Dr & Mrs C Chelliah of Segamat.
He was educated in the Government English School in Batu Pahat and Segamat. He had higher education at Jafna College and the University of Ceylon until 1946.
In 1947 he proceeded to the United Kingdom to read Law. He was called to the Bar at Lincoln’s Inn in 1952. Then he returned to Singapore to read in Chambers and joined PT Wong & Co. In 1963 he proceeded to open his own legal practice, Wong & Paramjothy in Muar and Singapore. Subsequently in 1964 he moved his legal firm to Johor Bahru.
He married his cousin on 11th September 1961. They have a daughter and 2 sons. Paramjothy was a prominent senior lawyer in Johor Bahru for nearly 35 years.
He contributed generously to local & community welfare in Johor Bahru.He was an active member of :
(1) The Rotary Club of Johor Bahru and was president in 1971. During his term he built the Children’s Playground by the low cost flats at Jalan Lumba Kuda. He also sponsored Miss Yap Bee Tin for Nurse’s training in Australia.
(2) Johore Bar Committee.
(3) Bar Council.
(4) Malaysian Ceylonese Association, Johor.
(5) Malaysian Ceylonese Congress, Johor and was president for a term.
(6) Divine Life Society, Johor.
(7) Sri Thandayuthapani Temple, JB â€“ Trustee.
(8) Lodge of Freemasoms , Singapore & Johor
He was noted for his compromising attitude and achieved distinction in his profession by calm and effective presentation of arguments before the courts. He never took any advantage of his colleagues of lesser experience than he. Many young Lawyers chambered under him. He has been described as a gentle and patient man, never lost his temper and was never known to have been arrogant.
He did not turn away anyone who came for charity or to do a case free. He was ever willing to help and this endeared him to all he knew. People probably took advantage of his soft nature, which probably led to his tragic death at the age of 63. Mr Paramjothy was one of the pioneers of the local legal profession and at the time of his death, he was the most senior practicing lawyer in the state of Johore.
by Dr Rajeswaran Paramjothy