Please be informed that the Continuing Professional Development Sub-Committee is organising the Seminar on Maritime Law (Part II): “The Carriage of Goods By Sea And Marine Insurance”.
The topics covered in the talk will include the following:
The Carriage of Goods by Sea
An Introduction to Bills of Lading and Charterparties
• The differences between charterparties and bills of lading.
• Sub – charterparties.
• Charterparties and the market
• The nature of voyage charterparties
• The terms of voyage charterparties
• Cancelling clauses
• Expected readiness to load.
• Reasonable despatch
• Freight – delivered freight, lumpsum freight, back freight
• Lien and cesser clauses
• Main features of time charterparties.
• Distinction between time and demise charterparties
• Early Redelivery and damages
• Late Redelivery and Last Voyage Orders
• War clauses
• Ice Clauses
Bills of Lading
• Types of Bills of Lading
• Relationship between bill of lading and charterparties
• The Hague/ Hague -Visby Rules
Good Faith Requirement
• Disclosure by the Assured.
• Disclosure by Agent Effecting Insurance.
• Representations Pending Negotiation of Contract.
• When Contract is Deemed to be Concluded
• What policy must specify.
• Signature of insurer.
• Valued Policy.
• Unvalued Policy.
• Floating policy by ships.
• Premium to be arranged
• Implied condition as to commencement of risk.
• Alteration of port of departure.
• Several ports of discharge.
• Delay in voyage.
• Excuses for deviation or delay.
Losses and Abandonment
• Included and excluded losses.
• Partial and total losses.
• Constructive total loss defined.
• Notice of Abandonment.
• Effect of Abandonment.
Particulars of the Seminar are as follows:
|Date||12th April 2019 (Friday)|
|Time||2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Registration at 2:00 p.m.)|
|Venue||Level 1, Abdullah A. Rahman Auditorium |
Johore Bar Building
No. 5 Jalan Tun Abdul Razak
Susur 1/1 80000 Johor Bahru
|Fees||RM 60.00 for Members of the Johore Bar |
RM 30.00 for Pupils-in-Chambers | Law Students
RM 120.00 for Non-Members
|T3/12042019/JHB/JHB192175/2 (2 CPD points)|
About the Speaker
Mr. Clive Navin Selvapandian is a specialist Shipping and International Trade disputes lawyer. He has specialised in shipping disputes since 2010 and holds an LL.M in Maritime Law from the University of Southampton. He has been involved in both ‘dry shipping’ disputes (claims on bills of lading and charterparties, etc.) and ‘wet shipping’ disputes (ship collisions, pollution at sea, tonnage limitation suits, etc.). He also has some experience in disputes involving multi-modal transport contracts, international sale contracts and the Incoterms. Clive is a member of the Malaysian Bar’s Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee, the International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law, the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (Dispute Resolution & Arbitration and Maritime Law Committees) and the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a contributor to the 2018 edition of Malaysian Civil Procedure, commonly known as the White Book.
Registration must be accompanied with payment to guarantee your place and is on a first-come first served basis.
Members are allowed to redeem their event vouchers worth RM30.00 per event on a “first come first served basis” limited to the first five  registered participants only. The vouchers are transferable. If you are redeeming a voucher belonging to someone else, kindly provide the particulars of the original voucher holder (Name and BC member No.). Members will be required to e-mail the particulars of the voucher holder and name of the participant three  days prior to the event to firstname.lastname@example.org for verification process. If the voucher has already been redeemed, JBC reserves the absolute right to claim from the member for the costs of the event.
CPD points and Certificate of attendance will be given upon completion of the whole session to participants who have attended until the end of the event.
Payment can be made by direct deposit or internet banking to:
Account name: JOHORE BAR HOUSE & LIBRARY FUND
Bank: CIMB Bank Berhad
Account no.: 80-0933164-8
Please direct all correspondence (including completed registration form and proof of payment) to the Johore Bar Secretariat by email to email@example.com or by fax 07-276 1188 not later than Thursday, 11th April 2019.
AIMI SYARIZAD BINTI DATUK HJ. KUTHUBUL ZAMAN
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT