The Human Rights Sub Committee is organizing a public forum titled Death Penalty: Is it Necessary?
This forum will look onto the evolution and metamorphosis of capital punishment in Malaysia, methods of capital punishment worldwide, capital offences as well as arguments for and against the abolition of the death penalty by the Retentionist and Abolitionist. The position of the death sentence in other countries will also be discussed to compare and contrast the position of death penalty in Malaysia.
We cordially invite Members of the Bar, pupils in chambers and members of public to this forum, the details whereof are as follows:
|Date||17th October 2019 (Thursday)|
|Time||3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Registration at 2:30 p.m.)|
|Venue||Level 1, Abdullah A. Rahman Auditorium |
Johore Bar Building
No. 5 JalanTun Abdul Razak
Susur 1/1 80000 Johor Bahru
|CPD code||T3/17102019/JHB/JHB193622/2 (2 CPD points)|
Please take note that admission is free but advance registration is required.
About the Speakers
Ms Ngeow Chow Ying
• Partner at Messrs Ngeow & Tan, Kuala Lumpur
• Treasurer of National Human Rights Society (HAKAM)
• Vice Chair of the Civil Rights Committee of KL and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall
• Executive Committee Member of Anti-Death Penalty Asia Network (ADPAN)
• Facilitator for the Malaysia National Conference and Training Workshop 2017 titled “Abolition of the Death Penalty in Malaysia and in Asia”
• Part of the team to campaign for clemency for Yong Vui Kong, a young Malaysian who was initially sentenced to death in Singapore for drug trafficking. In year 2013, Yong Vui Kong’s sentence was commuted to life imprisonment.
Mr Louis Liaw Vern Xien
• Legal Associate at Messrs RamRais & Partners, Kuala Lumpur
• A member lawyer of the Mackrell International Network, a global network of independent law firms with 90 member firms in 60 countries
• Chairperson of the Mackrell International Asia Pacific Region Young Lawyers Network
• Organising Chairperson of the National Young Lawyers Convention 2019
• An elected committee member of the KL Bar 2019/2020
• Chairperson of the KL Bar Publications Committee 2019/2020
• Secretary General of KL Bar Young Lawyers Committee (KLYLC) 2017/2018, in charge of the Networking portfolio
• Director of the KLYLC annual flagship event Charity Night 2017
• Active member of National Young Lawyers & Pupils Committee, the Bar Council Constitutional Law Committee & the KL Bar Criminal Practice Committee
• Conducted workshops at numerous schools, non-profit organisations, and universities
• His articles have been published on Loyarburok, BurgieLaw, OfficeParrots and online news outlets such as MalaysiaKini and MalayMail online
Ms Farhana binti Abdul Halim
• Partner ar Messrs Farida & Company, Selangor
• A Passionate Advocate of Human Rights
• Served in BERSIH 2.0 National Steering Committee
• Former Legal Volunteer to Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM)
• Engaged in the South East Asia Legal Aid Training, Asia Pacific Refugee Rights Network, Bangkok, Thailand
• Participated in the Leadership Training Program, Center For Dialogue, La Trobe University in conjunction with Islamic Council Victoria and the Victoria and Commonwealth Government of Australia and Edmund Rice Refugees Center, Sydney
• Former Trainer for Urgent Arrest / Right to March Training for various associations including Bersih 2.0, Good Shephered Malaysia, Legal Aid Kuala Lumpur and Sisters in Islam
• Legal Aider Public Relation Head for the KL Legal Aid Centre 2010
Mr Vince Tan Hoo Seh
• Legal Associate at Messrs Tan Ban Cheng & Associates.
• Active member of the LIGA PEMUDA
• Malaysian Representative of the American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) workshop for Internet Freedom at Manila, Philippines
• Malaysian Representative of the Political Management Training for Young Progressives organized by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung (FES) and SOCDEM Asia in Manila, Philippines
• Malaysian Representative at the “Building Partnerships for Internet Freedom” organized by ABA ROLI and Center Law Philippines at Cebu, Philippines
• Former Secretary General Progressive University of Malaya
• Founder & Manager of Project Football Rakyat
• Facilitator for the LEAP Camp (Leadership, Education, Activism, Politics) organized under the Damansara Utama Community Centre
• An Alumni of School of Politician under the Institute for Policy Research, a think-tank endorsed by Konrad Adenauer Stiftung
• Writings have been published on Malaysiakini, The Malaysian Insider, Malay Mail Online, Roketkini, Free Malaysia Today and Aliran Online
Kindly complete the enclosed Registration form attached and returned it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 07-2761188 not later than Wednesday, 16th October 2019.
We look forward in seeing you at the forum.
DANNY LOO KHENG SOON
HUMAN RIGHTS SUB COMMITTEE