- By a Federal Government Gazette P.U. (B) 527 dated 28 December 2016, the above Act A1516 came into operation in the State of Johore on 1 January 2017.
2. Under Act A1517, by an amendment to section 433B of the National Land Code (NLC), non-citizens and foreign companies may acquire land subject to the category “industrial” but only after the prior approval of the State Authority has been obtained.
3. Due to many enquiries made by members of the Johore Bar on the effects of the amendment to section 433B NLC, members of the Johore Bar Conveyancing Sub-Committee, namely Andrew Wong, Lee MY and LIM ES, had a meeting this morning (16 January 2017) with Puan Nurul Ashikin Bte Hj. A. Jabor, the Ketua Penolong Pengarah II (Bahagian Pendaftaran) (“PTG Negeri Johor”), to seek some clarification on the implementation of the amended section 433B NLC.
4. We have been informed by the PTG Negeri Johor that, in the State of Johore:
(a) the amended section 433B will only come into operation after a decision has been made by the Majlis Mesyuarat Kerajaan Negeri Johor (MMK), and after the MMK decision has been gazetted by the State Government; and
(b) meanwhile any instrument of dealing under the NLC in respect of the acquisition by a non-citizen or a foreign company of any land which is subject to the category “industrial”, shall be accepted for registration as if the NLC has not been amended by Act A1517.
5. Please be guided accordingly.