Please be informed that the Continuing Professional Development Sub-Committee is organising a seminar entitled Maritime Law.
The topics covered in the talk will include the following:
- An introduction to in rem proceedings.
- The differences between actions in rem and actions in personam/a civil suit.
- The types of claims that allow for pre-judgment security.
- The mechanics of a ship arrest.
- The peculiar priority of creditors in rem claims.
- Limitation laws peculiar to maritime claims
- The relationship between in rem suits and parallel/other proceedings.
- Forum Selection in Maritime Proceedings
CIF & FOB Contracts
- Common Issues in CIF and FOB Contracts.
- The nature of CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) Contracts.
- The nature of FOB (Free on Board) Contracts.
- The UCP 600.
- Frustration and Force Majeure.
Particulars of the Seminar are as follows:
|Date||17th August 2018 (Friday)|
|Time||2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (Registration at 2:00 p.m.)|
|Venue||Level 1, Abdullah A. Rahman Auditorium
Johore Bar Building
No. 5 Jalan Tun Abdul Razak
Susur 1/1 80000 Johor Bahru
|Fees||RM 60.00 for Members of the Johore Bar
RM 30.00 for Pupils-in-Chambers | Law Students
|CPD code||T3/17082018/JHB/JHB181129/2 (2 CPD points)|
About the Speaker
Mr. Clive Navin Selvapandian is a specialist Shipping and International Trade disputes lawyer. He has specialised in shipping disputes since 2010 and holds an LL.M in Maritime Law from the University of Southampton. He has been involved in both ‘dry shipping’ disputes (claims on bills of lading and charterparties, etc.) and ‘wet shipping’ disputes (ship collisions, pollution at sea, tonnage limitation suits, etc.). He also has some experience in disputes involving multi-modal transport contracts, international sale contracts and the Incoterms. Clive is a member of the Malaysian Bar’s Shipping and Admiralty Law Committee, the International Malaysian Society of Maritime Law, the Inter-Pacific Bar Association (Dispute Resolution & Arbitration and Maritime Law Committees) and the Malaysian Institute of Arbitrators. He is also a contributor to the 2018 edition of Malaysian Civil Procedure, commonly known as the White Book.
Registration must be accompanied with payment to guarantee your place and is on a first-come first served basis.
CPD points and Certificate of attendance will be given upon completion of the whole session to participants who have attended until the end of the event.
Payment can be made by direct deposit or internet banking to:
Account name: JOHORE BAR HOUSE & LIBRARY FUND
Bank: CIMB Bank Berhad
Account no.: 80-0933164-8
Please direct all correspondence (including completed registration form and proof of payment) to the Johore Bar Secretariat by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax 07-276 1188 not later than Thursday, 16th August 2018.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT