Please be informed that the Continuing Professional Development Sub-Committee is organising a seminar on intellectual property (‘IP’) and introduction to IP litigation.
Intellectual Property (IP) is increasingly being recognised as an essential and valuable asset for businesses. Understanding the different areas of IP is essential for every successful business. The speakers will provide a general overview of the various forms of IP and the legal protection strategies involved. The talk will also cover an introduction to IP litigation, from building a case to battling it out in the courtroom. The topics covered in the talk will include the following:
- General overview of the various forms of IP
- Strategies before building a case
- Collation of evidence
- Types of relief to seek in the lawsuit
- Post-filing of lawsuit strategies
- Out-of-court settlement tips
- IP trial – witnesses and documentary evidence
Particulars of the seminar are as follows:
|Date||31st May 2018 (Thursday)|
|Time||10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. (Registration at 9.30 a.m.)|
|Venue||Level 1, Abdullah A. Rahman Auditorium
Johore Bar Building
No. 5 Jalan Tun Abdul Razak
Susur 1/1 80000 Johor Bahru
|Fees||RM 63.60 for Members of the Johore Bar; and
RM 31.80 for Pupils-in-Chambers | Law Students;
(Fees are inclusive of 6% GST)
|CPD code||T3/31052018/JHB/JHB184290/2 (2 CPD points)|
About the speakers
- Ng Yueng May was called to the Malaysian Bar in 2003 and a partner in the firm of Messrs Wong Jin Nee & Teo. She has 10 years’ experience in civil litigation and has been specialising in intellectual property litigation and dispute resolution since 2008. May has advised clients on many aspects of intellectual property protection, enforcement and dispute resolution; covering the full spectrum of intellectual property subject matters such as trade mark, copyright, patent, industrial design, confidential information, geographical indication and involving clients from a diverse range of businesses and industries (i.e. retail, manufacturing, service, research and development and entertainment).
- Muhammad Azrul Abdul Hamid was called to the Malaysian Bar in 2001 and a partner in the firm of Messrs Wong Jin Nee & Teo. He has 16 years’ experience in anti-counterfeiting and brand protection programs where Azrul has implemented anti-piracy/anti-counterfeiting and brand protection programs for various multinational clients and in particular the telecommunications, fashion and oil and gas industries. Part of the program also includes organising various public awareness campaigns and government engagement events specifically with the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Consumerism and Co-operatives and the Royal Malaysian Customs. Azrul also handles a wide range of litigation matters involving patent, trade mark, copyright, trade secret, passing off, trade libel and unlawful interference with trade. Azrul is also a member of the EUMCCI IP Committee and is a regular speaker for the EU-SME IPR Helpdesk.
Registration must be accompanied with payment to guarantee your place and is on a first-come first served basis.
CPD points and Certificate of attendance will be given upon completion of the whole session to participants who have attended until the end of the event.
Payment can be made by direct deposit or internet banking to:
Account name: JOHORE BAR HOUSE & LIBRARY FUND
Bank: CIMB Bank Berhad
Account no.: 80-0933164-8
Please direct all correspondence (including completed registration form and proof of payment) to the Johore Bar Secretariat by email to email@example.com or by fax to 07-276 1188 not later than Wednesday, 30th May 2018.
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SUB-COMMITTEE