Circular No 154/2017
Dated 14 July 2017
To Members of the Malaysian Bar and pupils in chambers
Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting of the Malaysian Bar (3 August 2017)
Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to section 65(1) of the Legal Profession Act 1976 (“LPA”), the Bar Council will convene an Extraordinary General Meeting (“EGM”) of the Malaysian Bar, as follows:
Date: 3 August 2017 (Thursday)
Time: 4:00 pm
Venue: Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall, No. 1, Jalan Maharajalela, 50150 Kuala Lumpur
(1) To discuss matters pertaining to, and if deemed fit, to pass one or more motions with regard to the announcement by the Office of the Prime Minister dated 7 July 2017 (attached in English and Bahasa Malaysia) relating to, inter alia, the appointment of the Chief Justice and the President of the Court of Appeal, Malaysia, who are appointees as additional judges in the Federal Court pursuant to Article 122(1A) of the Federal Constitution; and
(2) Any other matters.
The motion(s) will be circulated to Members in due course.
We take this opportunity to remind Members that under section 65(5) of the LPA, if any Member of the Malaysian Bar desires to propose any motion to be considered at the EGM, the Member shall, “not less than seven days before the date of the meeting serve upon the Secretary of the Malaysian Bar notice of such motion in writing”.
In accordance with sections 65(4A) and 65(4B) of the LPA, the quorum shall be 500 Members of the Malaysian Bar, and the EGM shall be dissolved if a quorum is not present by 5:00 pm.
Please note that you will be required to produce your National Registration Identity Card (“NRIC”) or driver’s licence in order to register your attendance for the EGM.
We would like to draw your attention to sections 44 and 46(5) of the LPA, which read as follows (emphases added):
Section 44 All members who are not in arrears with their subscription under section 46 shall be eligible—
(a) to attend and vote at any general meeting;
(b) subject to section 46A, to be elected to the Bar Council; and
(c) to vote on the election of members to the Bar Council.
Section 46(5) Liability to pay any annual subscription to the Malaysian Bar shall arise when the subscription has been fixed by the Bar Council. All annual subscriptions to the Malaysian Bar shall be paid by the 30th day of June of each year.
Under the Continuing Professional Development (“CPD”) Scheme, you will earn one CPD point for attending the EGM.
Members are urged to make every effort to attend the EGM so that the issues on the agenda may be effectively discussed by as many Members as possible.
We look forward to your presence and participation at the EGM on 3 August 2017 (Thursday).
Roger Chan Weng Keng
(1) Members are kindly requested to make every effort to attend the meeting punctually to ensure a quorum of 500.
(2) Registration counters will open from 2:30 pm. Light refreshments will be served.
(3) All Members and pupils in chambers shall, upon registering their names, wear the designated wristbands for the purpose of admission.
(4) Pupils in chambers may attend but shall not vote, and shall be seated only at the area(s) designated for them.
(5) For information on preferential hotel corporate rates secured by the Bar Council, please refer to the current list, which can be downloaded from the scroll box located on the top right-hand section of the Malaysian Bar website at www.malaysianbar.org.my.